Sign Up for Plan On It! e-News

Soap Box: Kindergarten Orientation

Heading to Kindergarten Orientation this morning. Not really sure what to expect with about 20-30, excited to go to school, been couped up all summer, kids. Although the word entertaining does comes to mind.

I'm sure like most mom's I'm hoping to get a real opportunity to speak with his teacher and find out her teaching style and proudly give my son's bio and brief resume...(sigh) oh motherhood. If I'm being honest, I'm also trying to scope out the other kids and find which one's fit into my checklist of well mannered children, secretly hoping this is who he'll choose for friends. And then of course, hoping he's tough enough to deal with the slightly more aggressive child, all of course, without getting in trouble (another sigh).

I think I've figured out why sending your kids to school for the first time can be soooooo agonizing (especially for the stay at home mom like myself). It's kind of the first step to them owning their own lives. It's the time you pray harder that your previous prayers, of hoping you've made the right decisions and exposed them to the right things, were indeed the right thing. Because at this point, you no longer have ultimate control. We now shift to guidance and advice. They will choose who to sit with at lunch and play with on the playground. They will feel peer pressure to say the words they know they shouldn't say because it seems so harmless at the time (shut up, booty, hate, etc.)

It's maddening. I guess it's kind of where we, as parents, find out how we did. I also think that's what is most scary and why some of us have a little more anxiety than others. Our own peer pressure to say Johnny/Mary is adjusting well and thriving in school, with no problems.

What's funny, is all he cares about is going to big kid school and making new friends. He's not scared at all, he's proud even; to finally be considered a Big Kid. "I used to go to pre-school but now I go to Big Kid School". So I'm trying to train myself, over the next few days, to be excited with him. Be proud with him because this is what I've told him the reward is.


Moms, this is our moment. It's better to learn to start to let them go now because it will only get harder later. I never intended to home school so this is what I've been preparing for. And I must teach him to stand on his own 2 feet in a variety of situations. It's hard for me now but guess what? I must guide him into the man he is intended to be. And I want a young man who loves and respects his mother's opinion not a momma's boy. So I'm snapping out of it and getting it together. All things for a reason, right? I've focused on education now I get to focus on social interaction. I'm just changing my lesson plan.

Moms, I hope you find your chi and adjust well to the start of the school year because truth is the kid's are just fine, lol. Happy School Year!

P.S. thanks for letting me be on my Soap Box this a.m.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

Plan On It! e-Newsletter